When a software has finished development of such software is usually given to the Tester for testing. When a tester finds a bug and error then the tester will do yell or talk directly to programmers, is written on the paper, sent by Email, or sent via Instant Messenger. Way of reporting a bug or error such as it will probably be making notes a bug or error and difficult to be archived. To address this, we can use the Bug Tracking tools. By having these tools, bug-bug or error found is expected not to be untidy and be archived. And with Bug Tracking Tools are expected to avoid the bug/error records are missing, avoid a bug fix in the stone unturned, reducing the likelihood of duplication bug and remind the programmer to complete the bug/error. These are tools – outstanding Bug Tracking tools: Redmine vs Bugzilla.
What is Project Management?
Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements. It has always been practiced informally, but began to emerge as a distinct profession in the mid-20th century. PMI’s A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide) identifies its recurring elements such as Project management processes fall into five groups: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling, and closing. While Project management knowledge draws on ten areas, there are: Integration, scope, time, cost, quality, procurement, human resources, communications, risk management, and stakeholder management.
Definition of Redmine
Redmine is a project management application built using the Ruby on Rails framework. At the time this article was written, Redmine has reached version 0.5.1, released July 15, 2007. Redmine supports multiple project. So we can install Redmine on companies to manage all projects in progress. For the management of projects, Redmine has the Gantt chart and Calendar. To manage documentation projects, we can use the wiki. The tasks are distributed on a team member by using the concept of the issue which will be explained below. We can even see the code that was made using the version control browser. Currently the Redmine Subversion repository contents can see, CVS, Mercurial, Darcs and. This system is equipped with a variety of plugins are very useful and can help users to create their project management increasingly go smoothly. Redmine is suitable as a project management system (project management) that is suitable for small scale firms to large scale enterprises. Redmine is an open source alternative to the solution of project management a type such as Atlassian JIRA, Basecamp, Trello, Slack, Asana, Breeze, etc.
Definition of Bugzilla
Bugzilla is a software for handling bug that was originally developed and used by the Mozilla Foundation. Because Bugzilla is a web-based and also the free software cause bugzilla to be one of the main choices for handling bugs in the world. Bugzilla requires web servers such as Apache and database systems such as MySQL and PostgreSQL in order to function. The bug can be registered by anyone and will be analyzed by the software developer. Bugzilla has many features such as the selection of the status of the bug. Database systems now supported by bugzilla are MySQL and PostgreSQL. Bugzilla is usually installed on Linux and run with Apache HTTP server, only Microsoft internet information services or any web server that supports CGI. The process of installing bugzilla is the command line which is a series of steps where the system requirements and the capabilities of the software checked traced problems and bugs. (Read also : Bugzilla vs Mantis)
Benefits of Redmine
Redmine offers many benefits that are a great fit for any kind of business, industry or company. And, here’s the list of features of Redmine:
– Collaboration using a Wiki and Forum: create a wiki and forum per project. This enables users to contribute information to the database project. One of the key factors for the success of the project is the availability of information for every equitable project member.
– Chart: project management often requires the chart so you can easily analyze the situation and conditions of the project. Redmine provides Gantt Chart and Calendar.
– Data gathering: live input and enables real time project from all users.
– SCM (Source Code Management): supports the integration of source code management SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and Darcs
– Access Control and security: configuration role and permissions for each user and group.
– Time tracking: users can input time tracking for their activity.
Benefits of Bugzilla
Some of the advantages of Bugzilla are:
– The user must type in to clearly request or complaint or suggestion so that it will be recorded clearly. Suggestion or complaint by phone not recorded so that it can lead to misunderstandings or unrecognized user in the future. Complaint through memos or letters may result in scattered or lost mail. While the complaint via email can lead to email is also scattered with email every time or email that’s been erased.
– Each request gets number Bugzilla and will not be removed so that historically can always be tracked
– The response from the IT staff are also recorded so that communications can be tracked as well
– May contain cc so that communications can be sent by email to multiple users.
|- It is open source||- It is open source|
|- It is written in Ruby programming language||- It is written Pearl programming language|
|- It is focused only bug tracking||- It has strong community|
When we have to put the difference between Redmine vs Bugzilla into a table, we will make the difference in 3 until 5 things only especially about the source that they both are open-source application. In programming language, they are a bit different, Redmine is written in Ruby, while Bugzilla is written in Perl. So with the the focus which is bug tracking. But there are 2 plus values for Redmine that Bugzilla does not have and becoming the things you must consider to choose Redmine over Bugzilla. Redmine is often used for tracking issues and also for general project management due to the Gantt charts, time tracking, wikis, blogs and agile Kanban board.